Coronavirus Prayer Update 12 June 2020
Let’s remember God’s promises. In Isaiah 43 God reminds us of his great love and he will always be with us.
Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name: you are mine. When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up: the flames will not consume you. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour…..you are precious to me. You are honoured and I love you. Isaiah 43:1-4 NLT
As we pray for colleagues in those countries still experiencing significant challenges from the COVID 19 pandemic, ask God to remind each one that we are precious and he has us in the palm of his hand.
Scripture videos on social media: Eurasia
The COVID-19 crisis has created special opportunities to create and share minority language Scripture videos on social media. Many people spend more time than usual on social media while sheltering in place. Pray for wisdom for translation and media teams to choose and prepare material that will fill the spiritual needs of the moment. Pray for effective distribution that will draw many closer to God.
Supporting churches through the pandemic: Benin
For the past three months, churches around the world, including those in Benin, have closed their doors because of COVID-19. As a direct result, Wycliffe Benin has shared practical training in order to help churches with communication. Pray that the participants in this training programme will make good use of the tools once churches reopen.
Financial impact of COVID-19 on Bible translation: Kenya
Pray for the Kenyan partners of Bible Translation and Literacy (BTL) in Kenya. Some are affected by declining income due to the pandemic. BTL income from funding ventures is also greatly reduced, including income from their conference facility in Ruiru, office spaces in Nairobi and printing services. The reduction in income means their fundraising goals have increased. It is difficult to hold fundraising events in Kenya as some COVID-19 restrictions are still in place. Pray for God to provide the needs of BTL as well as its partners and tenants. To avoid overcrowding and ensure social distance measures are followed, staff are taking turns working from the office. Ask God to enable the staff to continue to work well in spite of these challenges, in order to support transformation of language communities through God’s Word.
Issues encountered by ACTB during the pandemic: Equatorial Guinea
Pray for the staff of ACTB (Asociación Cristiana de Traducciones Bíblicas) as they navigate the following problems:
- The staff of ACTB discovered the urgent need to move towards greater use of virtual-digital tools. The internet is still quite unreliable in Equatorial Guinea and prices for devices and services are high. Ask God to show them the way forward.
- They realised that in the current circumstances they need to learn more about working alone which is not their preferred way of working. Naturally they like to work in groups or in community. The staff feel the need for training from this perspective in order to work in diverse ways.
- They are faced with the urgent need to pay special attention to the good administration of local resources. Ask God to guide them in this.
Impact of the pandemic in DRC: Democratic Republic of Congo
The staff of ACATBA praise God that there have been no cases of COVID-19 in Gemena where they are based. However, the pandemic has affected their work in many ways:
- A team of five technicians from Theovision Ghana arrived in DRC 29 February to make audio recordings of six New Testaments: Pagabete, Lobala, Mbandja, Mono, Ngbandi Ngiri and Ngbaka. As international flights are still suspended they remain in the DRC. Pray for their health and safety. Ask God to open a way for their return to Ghana.
- Three initiatives were postponed due to the pandemic.
- An Oral Bible translation project in the Yango language: pray that trainers from Faith Comes By Hearing can travel as soon as restrictions are lifted.
- The recording of the JESUS film in five languages: pray that the technicians will be able to travel soon.
- A workshop about mobilising churches to take ownership of Bible translation in the country: pray that a facilitator from Togo will be able to come.
- The celebration of the New Testament in Lobala was planned for March. The Lobala people are looking forward to having and reading their complete New Testament.
Click to return to: A Call to Prayer About the Impact of COVID-19
The latestView all articles
Wycliffe Netherlands Celebrates 50th Anniversary
On Saturday 27 June, Wycliffe Netherlands held an online event to ...Read more