Who We Are
The Wycliffe Global Alliance is a community of more than 100 diverse organizations and networks serving together in Bible translation movements around the world.
Hundreds of millions of people still do not have God’s Word in the language they understand best. The Alliance’s vision is to see individuals, communities and nations transformed through God’s love and Word expressed in their languages and cultures.
Alliance Organizations have a common commitment, believing all peoples should have access to God’s Word in their preferred languages and formats.
The Alliance serves as a part of the worldwide Church and the global missions community, seeking to glorify God through participation in His mission of redemption, reconciliation and restoration.
Multicultural by nature, the Alliance also continues to grow in its intercultural attitudes and behaviors.
Alliance Organizations are committed to serving together, demonstrating the unity and diversity of the Body of Christ and exemplifying relationships that demonstrate love and respect.
Words commonly used to describe the Alliance include interconnected, inclusive, adaptable, respectful, diverse, organic, biblically and missiologically grounded, relational. It is only in God’s strength and with His guidance that any of this is possible.
A small core team and a diverse group of consultants (serving either full or part-time) help shape and nurture the direction of the Alliance, participate in key networks and partnerships, and provide accountability. These leaders live and serve in Asia, Africa, the Americas and Europe. A small business office/headquarters is located in Singapore.
The Alliance leadership desire to be reflective practitioners, reliant on God for discernment and direction as they lead through example and influence. They seek to ensure that the Alliance provides a welcoming environment in which many voices can be heard, grace is abundant and God is glorified.
The Alliance Board of Directors gives input to, and provides governance for, the Alliance. Each Alliance Organization has its own leadership and board, but all seek to work interdependently and value the Alliance community for friendship, partnership, spiritual and other practical forms of mutual support.
What We Do as an Alliance
Alliance Organizations contribute to Bible translation movements in many ways . The Alliance as a whole and the Global Alliance leadership contribute through:
1) Deepening missiological reflection: Structured consultations and ongoing dialogue across the Alliance create space and opportunity for a wide range of people to study issues of importance to the Alliance Organizations and to Bible translation movements.
2) Nurturing leaders for the Bible translation movement: Current and future leaders for the Bible translation movement are given opportunities to learn and grow through intergenerational forums, formal and informal mentoring, coaching and encouragement in leading as servants and shepherds.
3) Facilitating effective and timely communication: Easily accessible media resourcesand communication training help Organizations and individuals share the stories of God at work through His Word and people. These collaboratively gathered resources encourage prayer and a variety of other means of participation in the Bible translation movements.
4) Strengthening Alliance Organizations: Organizational development initiatives and board governance training help Organizations reach their full potential.
5) Equipping for Bible translation: With the Bible Translation Programs Philosophy statement as a motivational guide, Alliance Organizations are equipped to address the foundations (biblical, theological and missiological) for Bible translation, identify what God’s transformational impact through Bible translation programs looks like, and define the scope of their Bible translation programs.
6) Strengthening community and serving in unity: The Alliance believes in community, partnership and friendship, not merely as a means of accomplishing work, but as an expression of the unity of believers. Being a community is not optional. As God’s people community is our reality. Throughout the Alliance we encourage and model a community of trust and friendship.
7) Supporting collaboration: Closer partnerships among organizations in the Alliance are intentionally encouraged through sharing of expertise and experience among organizations so that barriers and tensions are overcome. The Alliance also partners formally and informally with a wide range of other organizations and networks.
8) Encouraging stewardship: Stewardship in God’s mission recognizes inclusive participation in which all are givers and receivers. Alliance organizations are encouraged to discover God’s provision for their ministries and generously share their resources with others in the Bible translation movement.
9) Ensuring a Trustworthy Organization: Desiring to glorify God in all things, and to be an example of sound ethics and accountability, the Alliance is following best practices in fiscal management and governance.
Our common purposes bring us together in an ongoing journey of growth and change. In dependency on God and through reflective practice we seek God’s continual transformation in us and in local communities wherever we live and serve.